Monday, March 8, 2010

Let the Training BEGIN!

Let the training begin!

For those of you who really know me you know I’m constantly looking for new ways to improve, or to learn something new or challenge myself. A few years ago when I heard about the 3 Day Walk I thought to myself….hmmm, 60 miles in 3 days, I can and will do that. It was just a matter of finding someone crazy enough to join me on my quest, and I did. All I had to do was mention it to Leslie, a college roommate who turned out to be one of the best things I took away from college, and the next thing I knew we were registered. So it looks like this is going to be my year … that is if I can manage to raise the money.

If I’m honest I would have to say the thought of challenging myself to walk 60 miles in 3 days was what was motivating and intriguing me to take on this challenge. I also fully, heartily believe in the cause. My family has had its fair share of cancer victims, and I have participated in a number of cancer walks in the past, but nothing that is going to challenge me like what I’m about to embark on. As I registered I could hardly keep from tearing up and all I could think about is how I’m going to be a blubbering mess as I cross the finish line and head to the closing ceremony.

When I first reviewed the training guide I was overwhelmed and started to panic a little bit. I already feel like there isn’t enough time to spend with the kids, Mike, to keep up with house work, to have a social life and the list went on and on and on. All I had to do was to turn to Mike and the first words out of his mouth were, “You can do this. We’ll make it work.” Lord knows I wouldn’t be able to complete this dream/goal without him.

I’ve completed my first week of training which ended up being 15 miles, of the 645 slated for training and the walk, down. Tomorrow starts week two of training. I’m still nervous about raising all the money. I know I will finish the walk. Why do I know? because my aunt Cheryl, who lived with breast cancer for 10+ years before passing away, and two grandmothers will be with me every step of the way. I’m also walking for all the women in my life who have lost the battle, who have won the battle and those who may someday need to fight. I’m walking for my daughter in hopes that someday she doesn’t have to worry about fighting the fight. I walk for me, you and all among us so that one day we have one less thing to worry about.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn- You are an inspiration! Can we donate to you online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn - I am soo proud of you. You can, and you will, accomplish this goal!
    Looking forward to cheering you on as you embark on this journey!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete