Thursday, March 18, 2010

Get Started Meeting

Well it’s no surprise I’m already a week behind on my blogging, but I’m right on track with my training. Last week’s training, which was officially Week One of the 24-week training program, went great. I was able to get all of my walks in while the kids were sleeping so I didn’t miss any time with them. I was nursing some minor shin splints but I think it had a lot to do with my shoes. I have an old, like 7 -10 yr old, pair of shoes I was wearing on my longer walks which I was doing outside. I won’t be making that mistake this weekend.


Last weekend, after getting our 3 miles in, Leslie and I attended a 3 Day get started meeting. I was of course in tears during most of it even though the meeting was very well scripted. They showed a video to give us a feeling of what we will experience during the 3 day walk and it made me gitty. The mentioned how they have sweeper vans that are available to take people to the next pit stop if they can’t make it on their own. Well my goal is not to have to use the vans to but be able to finish saying I walked ever inch of that 60 miles with my own two feet (cross your fingers that there are no injuries).


During the meeting I was already planning in my head other ways I could participate in the 3 Day in the future. When the meeting was over I turned and said to Les, “The next time we walk we should sign up for a walk in another state.” We are only two weeks in and it isn’t a question of IF but WHEN (I might have to wait a few years to get up the gumption to beg for money).
After the meeting I was supposed to get cracking on my fundraising but that hasn’t happened yet. I hope to get my donation letter drafted by early next week. We are also planning on having a 3 day garage sale in June and we are planning on soliciting people for the items they would normally give to Goodwill. Yet another thing I’m going to have to start working on next week.


When you register for the 3 Day you get a handbook, and another thing I will need to finish reading here soon, and on one of the first pages it gives you the background of Susan G. Komen. I didn’t realize that when she passed away she was 36yrs with 2 small children. I find it a little ironic I picked this year to do the walk….the year I’m 36yrs with 2 small children. It is sad to think this could just as well be my story and I know I’m nowhere close to being ready to leave them. Yet another reason to walk!

1 comment: